February 3, 2009

A Tribute to Lydia


At some point during the early morning of Jan. 29th my dear sweet friend Lydia Wheeler slipped into eternity. Who could have known that before a new day dawned this world would suffer such a great loss and the kingdom of heaven would gain such a jewel? I have known Lydia for what seems like a lifetime. She and her beautiful family waltzed into my life in a timely manor. I was a young mother with four young daughters and I was desperately looking for a role model. It only took a few visits with Lydia for me to know that she was a woman I could look to for wisdom and insight into the depth of God’s heart for me and my daughters. If ever there was a woman who modeled Biblical womanhood it was Lydia. In answer to the words of King Lemuel’s Mother “Who can find a virtuous wife?” I respond, “Spike Wheeler can!” For as long as I have known Lydia, never was there a disrespectful word spoken to me about her husband. Her heart throbbed with fervor to do him good. She was such and example to me as I watched her walk through some dark days. In her suffering her passion was to glorify her Lord and honor her husband above all else. In those difficulties, she was continually asking herself how God and her husband could be honored through her life. Her family was always her utmost priority. Lydia had a love that was immeasurable for her husband, children, son-in-laws, and grandchildren. Lydia’s love didn’t stop there; it bled into the lives of everyone who crossed her path. She was always looking outward as to how she could serve those in need. Kindness was her way, as well as distributing the best home made bread in the south. We shared many sweet times of food and fellowship throughout our friendship. Most of them pertained to exhorting one another to keep our Savior first above all else no matter the cost.
My life has suffered a great loss at the passing of my friend. I feel a great emptiness knowing that I can’t pick up the phone and call her or sit and have a cup of tea or be the recipient of her wealth of wisdom and kindness. Even in her death, she has inspired me to love more, and to serve others more today!
May all of us who have had the privilege of being touched by Lydia’s life hear what it spoke to us; “Follow sound doctrine, be reverent in your behavior, be teachers of good things, love your spouse and children, be discreet, be chaste, be homemakers, be good and obedient to your own husband, and above all love the Lord with all your heart soul and strength.
Lydia was survived by her husband, Craig Winsor (Spike) Wheeler; four daughters, Jessica, Melita, Emily and Jael; a son, Zaanan; three sons-in-law and seven grandchildren.
I close with the words of King David Psalm 39:4-7 "LORD, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah Surely every man walks about like a shadow; Surely they busy themselves in vain; He heaps up riches, And does not know who will gather them. "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You